Yes, I have been designing and developing software for around 20 years. I have development experience in embedded systems, Windows software, web development, and mobile. I love developing software!
There are many challenging aspects of developing mobile apps. Technology is constantly changing and evolving, so staying up to date with the latest and greatest features is always challenging. Our app is unique in that it not only has to be compatible with multiple mobile operating systems and devices, but it also has to be compatible with hundreds of different vehicles, as well as countless OBD2 adapters. Providing a consistent and quality user experience with all of these factors is a constant challenge.
The interviewee, Matthew O'Connor, is the President and Lead Software Developer at OCTech, LLC. He is a highly motivated software engineer with professional experience in software design and development, software practices, and team management.
I use Pandora daily because I love listening to music while I work. I also use 1Password frequently because it’s a great app for creating and storing passwords.
I began working on TouchScan, our Windows app, in 2009. That eventually evolved into our OBD Fusion moble app, which was first released in 2012. I continue to work on both apps to make improvements and add features that will better serve my customers.
I believe that everyone who owns a vehicle should be able to monitor and diagnose simple problems that occur with their vehicle. When I first decided to develop an OBD2 application, I felt there was a lack of quality software available for accessing vehicle diagnostics outside of professional scan tools that were not within the budget of most vehicle owners. That motivated me to develop software that fulfilled those needs.
I believe our software is well-designed, intuitive, and easy to use. I am very proud of our user-interface and customizable dashboards. Shortly after releasing OBD Fusion, we kept receiving feedback from our users that they wanted to access more detailed information on their vehicles. In response, we added enhanced diagnostic functionality that provides access to many additional modules (e.g. ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc.) as well as access to hundreds of additional sensors. Enhanced diagnostics allows OBD Fusion to provide access to data on vehicles that other apps are not able to access.
We are working on a major rewrite of our app interface that will bring new features and allow us to more easily add features across all supported mobile operating systems. In additional, my goal is continue to add access to enhanced diagnostics for additional vehicles.
I love to hear feedback from OBD Fusion users, so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions, feature suggestions, or just want to say hello. If you love OBD Fusion, please don’t hesitate to spread the word among other car owners!
OBD Fusion (formerly TouchScan) is an app that allows you to read OBD2 vehicle data directly from your phone or tablet. You can clear your check engine light, read diagnostic trouble codes, estimate fuel economy and much more! OBD Fusion has a ton of features that are used by professional car mechanics, do-it-yourselfers, and users who want to monitor car data during day to day driving. Some of the features include customizable dashboards, real-time graphing of vehicle sensors, emission readiness status, data logging and exporting, oxygen sensor tests, Boost readout, and a full diagnostic report.
Is your check engine light on? Do you want to monitor fuel economy and usage in your vehicle? Do you want cool looking gauges on your phone or tablet? If so, then OBD Fusion is the app for you!
OBD Fusion is a vehicle diagnostics tool that connects to OBD-II and EOBD vehicles. Not sure if your vehicle is OBD-2, EOBD or JOBD compliant? See this page for more information: https://www.obdsoftware.net/support/knowledge-base/how-do-i-know-whether-my-vehicle-is-obd-ii-compliant/. OBD Fusion works with some JOBD compliant vehicles and in some cases requires modifications to the connection settings in the app. Please contact us for more information.
You must have a compatible scan tool to use this software. For recommended scan tools, see our website https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion. Please note that cheap ELM clone adapters can be unreliable. OBD Fusion can connect to any ELM 327 compatible adapter, but the cheap clone adapters tend to have slow refresh rates and might disconnect randomly.
OBD Fusion is brought to you by OCTech, LLC, the developers of TouchScan. Now you can get the same great features for your phone or tablet.
OBD Fusion has the following features:
• Read and clear diagnostic trouble codes and your Check Engine Light (MIL/CEL)
• Real-time dashboard display with heads up display (HUD) option
• Real-time graphing
• Fuel economy MPG, MPG (UK), l/100km or km/l calculation
• Create custom enhanced PIDs
• Includes some built-in enhanced PIDs for Ford and GM vehicles including engine misfires, transmission temp, and oil temp.
• Multiple trip meters for tracking fuel economy, fuel usage, and distance
• Customizable dashboards with fast dashboard switching
• Log data to CSV format and export for viewing in any spreadsheet application
• Display battery voltage
• Display Engine Torque, Engine Power, Turbo Boost pressure, and air-to-fuel (A/F) ratio (vehicle must support the required PIDs)
• Read freeze frame data
• English, Imperial, and Metric units that are fully customizable
• Displays vehicle information including VIN number and calibration ID
• Emissions readiness for each US state
• Oxygen Sensor Results (Mode $05)
• In-performance Tracking Counters (Mode $09)
• GPS tracking - plot vehicle parameters on a map in real-time
• Full diagnostic report that can be stored and emailed
• Option to select the connected ECU
• Built-in database of fault code definitions
• Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE*, USB**, Automatic Adapter Gen 2 and Pro***, and Wi-Fi**** scan tool support
Date: April 29, 2023
Developer: Matthew O'Connor
About developer: The interviewee, Matthew O'Connor, is the President and Lead Software Develo ... Read more