FTM was my first application for Android, but I already had a few years of experience with coding.
I am sometimes surprised by the differences between Android versions and phones…
Jakub, the interviewee, is popular in the Android world by the name of PaPaČut. Faster than Morse was his first published app on the Play Store, since then, he has published 4 more apps.
When I am outside then mapy.cz (perfect touristic maps working also off-line); when inside Duolingo (I like to learn languages). And K9 email everywhere.
The first version was released in March 2013, since then the application is maintained, updated and features being added. A new version with some new features and fixes was just released on the 20th of Feb, 2021.
I wanted to design the app in a way that Morse code learning can be fun and quick, so the user can take a short training session when waiting for a bus or in a queue in the shop. I also wanted it to run without issues on small displays and low-performance phones.
Well, the reason behind the development of the app was more like "develop something useful and also have some fun with coding" than "bring innovations" :-). Thinking about it, interesting for the users can be that the Morse code table can be changed – you can add or edit symbols (e.g., add symbols of the national alphabet). I also think that the CodeGroup reception training was not common in other apps when I started the development of the FTM in 2013. Finally, the Farnsworth learning method is supported by the application to allow the user to get used to the character reception at higher speeds more easily.
A new version was just released; I added some features requested by users (like dark mode support or switchable Morse code table language) plus I fixed two bugs. I also have some plans for the version after this one - e.g., an extension and improvement of the training modes…
I appreciate any feedback on the app’s functions. Especially, if you experience a bug, drop me an email, I will be very grateful for it. And enjoy learning!
Do you want to learn Morse code, improve your skills? Reading, writing, reception of a message? This app can help you to train Morse code anywhere you are - on the bus, on the train, waiting for a tramway. Wherever you go, there you can learn. Gaming mode, tracking of hi-scores, and all this is free of charge, and without ads :-).
Faster Than Morse helps you to
- train Morse code wherever you go: fast and intensive training suitable when you e.g., wait for a bus. Wherever I go, there I learn!
- improve in Morse code and track your progress via high score
- test your Morse listening ability to receive a complex message
- quickly and easily convert text to morse code and back
- fits nicely even on the smallest phone displays.
- tracking of mistakes; symbols you do not know well are repeated more often
- sharing is supported. You can select a text in the email client, send it via “share” button to the FTM, convert to the morse code and via “share” in the FTM send to Facebook, SMS message,..
- you can edit the Morse code table
- configurable speed of sound output in words per minute. Farnsworth timing of morse code transmission is supported, CODEX/PARIS standard word supported
- under continuous development and being improved since March 2013 :-)
Date: March 6, 2021
About developer: Jakub, the interviewee, is popular in the Android world by the name of PaPaČ ... Read more